Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Boston 2014: Day One: Boston Public Garden, Boston Common, and Cheers

Disclaimer: This post is mainly photographs. We finally left the airport and hauled all of our luggage on the Silver Line bus to take us to the subway. 
This was my first time on the subway and I remember thinking, "OMG, it's exactly like the movies!!"

I was totally nervous about taking the subway. It turned out to be pretty cool and after the first day, I had the whole system pretty much figured out. Easy peezy, lemon squeezy, as Tucker would say.

Our old but cool hotel, Boston Park Plaza. It was less than half a block to the closest subway station so it was very easy to move around the city.
After we dropped off our luggage at the hotel, we walked half a block to the Public Garden. It was so beautiful and full of flowers, trees, and plants. A totally amazing green space in the midst of an enormously busy city!














I was so in love with all the amazing architecture and history of the city!
We also wandered over to Boston Common. Both the Common and the Garden were full of people eating lunch, walking, talking, and just soaking in the sun.

Boston Founded 1630
Boston Common was originally a military training field and used for feeding cattle.








There was so many old cemeteries all over the city. Some headstones dated back to the 1600's!


Cheers bar!
We decided Cheers was the perfect spot for a break for lunch.






They brew their own root beer. I'm normally not a fan of root beer but it was delicious and perfect for such a hot day!
Kev ordered the "Norm" burger and it was huge!

By this time it was 3 pm Boston time and Kevin's ankle was bothering him and I could barely see straight, so we headed back to the hotel and checked in. The Boston Park Plaza opened in 1927 and was the first hotel in the world to offer their guests in-room radio in every room. The rooms weren't giant and the bathroom was small but I thought it was charming and only added to the whole experience.

The door wouldn't open flush to the wall because it hits the toilet. Which, by the way, didn't have a lid, only a ring. Weird.

Naturally, Kevin passed out. I unpacked our bags, showered off the accumulated plane/city grime, and crashed for three hours. We woke up and decided we weren't starving for dinner but wanted a little something. We left the hotel and turned the corner and there was the cutest little patisserie called Finale right under our hotel. Dessert for dinner it was!

Dessert sampler. The creme brulee (second row, third item with the strawberry and blackberry) was my personal fav but they were all divine!

We spent awhile just wandering around trying to work off our "dinner." The city was still alive and bustling. It never was quiet! I'd already decided by then that as much as I love visiting here, big city life is NOT for this country girl!



That pretty much sums up our first day in Boston. It was pretty low-key and relaxed. The next time we do something like this, I may need to take a sleeping pill on the flight so I'm more rested. Note to self... 

No, we're not tourists. Why do you ask??
Please feel free to continue gripping the edge of your seat with excitement for the next installment! :)

2 comments :

  1. I want a full size serving of all those desserts. Now. Oh my gosh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even begin to tell you how delicious they all were!! One of them was even completely vegan and still good. And I don't normally care for dessert!

      Delete