Sunday, December 22, 2013

December Fun 2013


I was hoping our first December in North Dakota would be a good one, and so far, it has!! Aside from the horribly cold weather, that is!

Really, I could live without the wind chill.

We decided to put up the Christmas tree the night of December 2, a perfect family home evening activity! My Christmas-loving middle child was in heaven and Jaxon was so excited he could hardly stand it!

My dad indignantly asked why I let my kids run around naked in -40 degree weather...well, it's warm inside my house...


 This is the first Christmas Jaxon has really noticed what's going on and I am loving it. My mom had labeled a few wrapped gifts to be opened when we decorated the tree, and as it turns out there were three, one for each boy. My mom is smart like that. :)

A key for Santa since we don't have a chimney.

A Christmas pickle


I love this plaque!

I wasn't paying much attention while handing out ornaments and applying hooks to those that needed them. When we ran out of items to hang, this was the result I got:

Thanks, Tucker and Jaxon. It's beautiful...but Mommy secretly evened out the result after bedtime!


Our tree 2013. Williston, North Dakota

We started a new tradition this year. The boys each received a chocolate Advent calendar. We had purchased a cute little Christmas countdown radio ornament last year from Hallmark. You turn the dial according to the date and an awesome update from the North Pole plays.

The boys pop out the daily chocolate and chomp down while the update plays.

With the lack of extracurricular activities here plus the cold weather and Pinterest, I have become a little craftier than I have claimed to be in the past. I enlisted the help of my little elves for this snowflake popsicle stick project:

Final results:

Not the straightest, but good for a first try!

Next up was the ward Christmas party. The committee went all out!! The decor was gorgeous, the Santa's workshop/crafts for the kids was super fun, the food was fabulous, and everyone had a great time!
Of course, Jaxon crashed right before dinner was served...

Cute little candy train from Santa's workshop

Enjoying his cocoa from the fab hot cocoa bar!

Mmmmm!
Tucker lives for his carb-centric diet of bread and sweets.


The only child I managed to snap a photo with Santa was Kyan. Tucker was too quick for me and Jaxon wanted nothing to do with him!

Next up was a quick trip to Minot to finish up the Christmas shopping, treat the boys to a showing of the awesome movie, Frozen, and dinner out. It was a great family day!



Jaxon was the only one who made it back from Minot awake. :)

Happy 9th anniversary to us!
December 11, 2004

We had picked up an Elf on the Shelf in Minot and I had originally planned to keep him til next year, but Kevin talked me into bringing him out on our anniversary. Tucker had been talking about the elf they have at preschool, so the boys were thrilled.

The elf has been dubbed "Pickles" in honor of our new ornament.

Pickles dyed the milk green.

He likes to chill in the Christmas tree.

Pickles needed a midnight snack!

Pickles got stuck trying to steal M&Ms!

Did he think the Keurig is a hot tub??

Pickles got thirsty for his favorite beverage...

Pickles' role model!

There is a tradition of the annual Cookie Party in my family. Usually one of the aunts makes an untold number of sugar and gingerbread cookies for everyone to decorate, and each family also brings one..or two...or six different kinds of cookies to share. The result is everyone ends up with more cookies and treats than they can handle. I love it and wanted to continue the tradition here. I have a great group of women friends who get together monthly for Make and Eat (ME) Nites. We usually make something, always eat something, and have a great time! I suggested the cookie swap for December's ME and also hosted.

Around 150 sugar cookies ready to decorate!

Clockwise: Alyssa, Emily, Carissa, Maggie, me, Nikki, and Karena

Some finished product!

Everyone brought yummy cookies and treats!

I let the boys finish decorating the leftovers and they had a ball.

One day maybe he will smile without closing his eyes...

I decided it would be cute to take the Christmas card photos the night of the ward party since the boys were going in their pjs (it was a Polar Express request.)

Kyan

Tucker

Jaxon

Brothers

Loves to ham for the camera.

Overall, we have had a beautiful time as a family this holiday season. I was worried the kids would be sad without their cousins and grandparents, but I have kept them busy and tried to make these moments into lasting memories. I cannot wait to see what the next week brings us. I will never tire of experiencing the joy and magic of Christmas through my children's eyes!

Hiatt boys 2013
From our house to yours, we hope you have a truly peaceful, joyous Christmas. May we all remember the true meaning for the season:

"....And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."
                   -Luke 2: 7-14















4 comments :

  1. Way to live up the holiday month! So much fun things. Thanks for sharing the christmas swap tradition with us! How do you make your pics come to life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had such a great time!! I had so much fun doing the cookie swap. :) So the pictures that were sparkling and snowing were suggestions from Picasa Web Albums when I was uploading photos for this post! I thought they were awesome so I used them!

      Delete
  2. So many fun things! I am glad I got to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete